Saturday, February 25, 2012

Yet Again...

I had a conversation with one of my co-workers about Martha Stewart.  Understand that this woman not only loves food and cooks all the time, but is someone who enters cooking contests.  She is a self proclaimed food snob and believes that Martha Stewart is not all she claims to be.  It's more about Martha's team then it's about Martha.  Despite this I think a tasty recipe is a good recipe no matter where it comes from and my subscription to Martha Stewart Everyday last year was a great way to start trying more and more new recipes on a regular basis.

I love brussel sprouts and last year I ate more in one year than I ever have in my life.  I found roasting them in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper was always a good way to cook them, but doing that every time seemed to grow old.  I wanted to see what else I could do with the vegetable.  I was looking on Martha Stewart's website one day and came across a recipe for Pasta with Brussel Sprouts and Bacon.  Bacon does make some things taste better.  In this case I love the way it seasoned the sprouts.



Ingredients:
  • 6 ounces bacon (about 7 slices), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • Up to 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 large shallots, cut into thin rounds
  • 1 1/4 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (quartered if large)
  • 1 1/4 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
  • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh sage leaves, about 20 leaves

Directions:
  1. Heat a dry large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Add enough oil to bacon fat in skillet to total 2 tablespoons. Add garlic, shallots, and sprouts; cook, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 3 minutes. Add stock; season with salt and pepper. Cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed and sprouts are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta. Cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; return pasta to pot.
  3. Stir in sprouts mixture, reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid, and cheese. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; add sage and bacon. Toss until combined. Serve with more cheese.

 

4 comments:

lilibet said...

It may be all about MS's team, but they're a good team. I've had a couple of letdowns with her recipes, but they're usually pretty good.

I will definitely be trying this out!

Mert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mert said...

I agree with Elizabeth, as I was reading your blog entry I was thinking, "I'm not sure that Martha claims all the credit for herself," like most corporations today (and Martha is a corporation) a team effort is required to stay competitive and meet with high frequency consumer demands (after all, my degree in education makes me such an expert on capitalism ;) ). By the way, did you get my text messages yesterday about the Florence & the Machine concert?

lilibet said...

Erin, I just made this sans bacon -- I just used butter instead for the fat -- and it was delicious. I was too lazy to make a vegetable side, so I tossed in a 10 oz package of thawed and drained frozen chopped spinach. It was soooooooooooooooooo goooooood. Nice find!!!