Thursday, August 7, 2014

Foodie

What makes a foodie?  Is it my co-worker who brings a camera with him every time he goes to a restaurant and writes reviews on Yelp?  Is it my friends who know all the new restaurants in Seattle?  Is it someone who occasionally writes about food on a blog that only a few people actually read?

Went to Texas to spend time with my in-laws and my father-in-law asked me if I was a foodie.  What can I say?  I like food, I like trying new restaurants, I like going back to the restaurants that have good food.

Below is a list of places I love and the reasons why I love them (to be updated anytime I think of something I missed or when I find a new fabulous place):

Seattle: 
Kingfish Cafe: mac n' cheese - no longer in business, boo!
Tamarind Tree: guava martinis
Kushi Bar: asparagus and tomato okonomiyaki (egg pancake) and lychee martinis
El Gaucho: ribs and corn
Via Tribunali: nutella calzone
Tutta Bella: salerno salad (romaine ribbons, fresh mozzarella, fennel, tomato, english cuke, basil, dijon vinaigrette)
Cascina Spinasse: pasta (every one I've tried has been amazing)
Marination Ma Kai: miso ginger chicken tacos
Cupcake Royale: ice cream
Skillet: chicken and waffles
Rachel's Ginger Beer: non-alcoholic beverage that is too die for, comes in lots of different flavors
Molly Moon's: Rachel's Ginger Beer sorbet (don't see it on the website, but it was in the shop this summer)
Thai Tom: Thai food, everything is delicious, tiny place that usually has a line to get in
Bengal Tiger: fav Indian restaurant in WA



Bellevue:
Din Tai Fung (now has Seattle location at University Village): green beans, soup dumplings, wontons with spicy sauce, noodles with spicy sauce, the spicy sauce over the green beans, anything you order
Ruth Chris: steak (I know totally obvious, but they are consistent and always have a great steak every time I eat there, sides are not always the greatest)

Bellingham:
Pepper Sisters: deluxe blue plate (organic blue corn tortillas, chicken, jake cheese, sour cream and olives topped with red chili, green chili or ranchero sauce)
Casa Que Pasa: potato burrito (crispy potatoes, cheddar cheese, pinto beans, special sauce wrapped in a tortilla)

Portland:
Luce: seasonal menu - pasta was great, had the best roasted cabbage I've ever had in my life (not sure it's on the menu anymore)
Pok Pok: Ike's Vietnamese fish sauce wings (best asian style chicken wings I've ever had aside from the sweet and sour wings my mom makes)
The Hairy Lobster: just about everything we ate was delicious, but the braised green cabbage was my fav!
Salt and Straw: this is an ice cream joint, try everything out and see which ones you like the best
Bollywood Theater: Indian food, everything is delicious

Austin:
Kerbey Lane: pancakes and Kirby queso (queso with guacamole at the bottom)
Salt Lick: coleslaw (yes the bbq is delicious)
Rudy's: creamed corn (although the brisket is great, I would also recommend the turkey)



Houston:
Ninfa's: fajitas
Kenny & Ziggy's Deli: stuffed cabbage, just order one it's big enough for an entire meal
Carrabbas: rigatoni alla norma



Los Angeles:
Nate 'n Al: this is my favorite delicatessen, everything on the menu is great

No comments: